Monday, January 11, 2010

Forever Young

I had the pleasure of teaching yoga to a 63 year old lady this morning. She was German, understood very little English, and spoke even less. Any nervousness at the challenge ahead soon disappeared the moment we stepped onto the mat, and proceeded slowly to our first Surya Namaskar.
Her enthusiasm and focus was amazing! Fully aware of her limitations and her prevailing health conditions, she immersed herself into the morning practice, resting in Balasana in-between, while waiting for her breath to slow down to its natural rhythm before rejoining the class. She patiently waited for me to demonstrate a variation to Vrksasana.... smiled her understanding, before proceeding to the asana. I glanced at her face when she was in Utkatasana, and saw a mixture of curious observation and lightness. Her energy was beautiful.


Most of us settle for the "life is this way or that way" mentality especially when we get older. This lady has taught me, that age is just a number, and certainly, you're NEVER too old to start practising yoga. Her practice may be slow to the outer eye, but I believe, there's plenty going on deep inside.


Today, I learnt quiet listening. I learnt letting students speak up in a manner that is beyond verbal. I learnt that the fountain of youth has a lot to do with the spirit.
Namaste.




No comments:

Post a Comment