Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Why I Write

It's been a while since I last wrote... a long while, actually (and postings about workshops and events happening at the studios where I teach don't count as writing).

After two back-to-back Teacher Trainings since end June, and a packed August, this long weekend had me finishing up some long-abandoned half-read books, plus some well-deserved me time on my mat with my practice.

A conversation with a monk a few weeks back, in my car, came to mind. "You write", he said. "I do... in an amateurish way", was my sheepish reply. "And why do you write?" he asked, just as we approached our destination. I didn't respond immediately as I was busy maneuvering the car into the parking lot. "Write more", he quietly said, upon hearing my answer.

As I sat by the window, watching the afternoon rain fall from the skies, I pondered on a topic to write on. Nothing came to mind. Instead, I thought about why I write in the first place. I used to write to earn a living. But now...

I write to let go of things and people that do not contribute positively to my life...  

I write to remind myself to practice impermanence... just like the shadow play cast by the setting sun, everything will (eventually) be gone when one day ends and a new one begins tomorrow.


I write to remind myself to

I write to celebrate that true friendship isn't about being inseparable, it's about being separated and nothing changes.

I write about how blessed I am by the beautiful beings who have entered my life, touched my soul and transformed me into a better person.

I write about the storms in my life before the calm. And how I learnt to dance in the rain instead of waiting for the storm to pass.

I write about not skipping straight to the breakthrough. Instead, I am openly honest that I too, am a work-in-progress and that happy endings don't come without hard work.

I write to heal... to be free of my demons... and to have the courage to love again.

Write more, I was told.

Write more I shall.

xx

1 comment:

yokeyan said...

I like the way you write why you write .... Keep it up..... Write more ....

Post a Comment