Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Eat Like a King

As I munched on my breakfast this morning while casting my eyes over the news online (and no, I don't buy newspapers), I remembered years ago during my days as a corporate slave, when breakfast was just a cup of the strongest coffee and pretty much nothing else close to nutrition.


You've heard of the old saying... 'eat like a king at breakfast, eat like a prince at lunch, and like a pauper at supper'.


Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  It kick starts your metabolism, curbs ridiculous cravings, and marks the transition from rest to work.  Really, it's supposed to mark the start of a brand new day.  As yoga practitioners, we rise with the sun, and step on the mat, sometimes as early before day breaks, so breakfast before our first class is sometimes impossible.  However, we should not use this excuse to skip breakfast altogether.  It's important, as yogis, that we nourish ourselves before we begin to address the journey of living and nourish others.


As I finish my morning classes right around 10.30am, I'm usually famished by the time I get home, and breakfast to me, is more like brunch, at around 11.00am'ish.  I eat heartily to replenish all that energy spent on the mat in the morning, and to fuel up for the rest of the day.


Here's a peek at some of my morning indulgences, alongside a cup of chai or coffee :
Avocado on wholemeal toast
Oatmeal porridge with peaches & cranberries,
sprinkled lightly with molasses
Oatmeal porridge with bananas & pecans or walnuts
Scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast
Caramelised bananas on wholemeal french toast
Some say, eating a hearty and healthy breakfast helps you to lose weight, as you pretty much eat less for the rest of the day, and you won't be tempted to snack in-between meals.


So whatever your motivation is, do eat well, and eat with good intentions at breakfast. It restores and rebalances your prana, and nourishes your body, mind and spirit.  



(Note : images from Google, as I have yet to replace my stolen camera).

No comments:

Post a Comment