Thursday, March 22, 2012

How the Yoga Sutras Unleashed my Inner Warrior

Life is funny (though, not always the funny of the ha-ha kind).


As March comes to (almost) a close, I spend a moment to ponder on how 2012 has been so far. 


Not one to believe in predictions (Chinese Astrology predicts that the Year of the Black Water Dragon will not be favourable to many), I cannot help but reflect on the turbulence that had been inflicted upon me these past few months... in health, relationships, trust and yoga. I noticed that as I begin to experience shifts in my consciousness and manifest a longing to live a life with more meaning, I inevitably created turbulence within myself, my yoga practice and my life. It became exceptionally hard to abide to the Yamas and Niyamas, when everyone and everything seemed to be pushing my buttons (including the cat!). 


Overbooking myself into 3 months of non-stop 7-days-a-week of teaching plus the intense stoking of the Rajasic fire, resulted in me losing my voice and coughing incessantly in February and March. I felt depleted, energy wise.


I began to retreat into my introverted doppelganger self, as people with selfish, devious intentions loomed before me, colouring my thoughts with doubts on why such people practise (and teach yoga) in the first place. Is the world so swept up with this new hot phenomenon of "doing yoga" that people have forgotten what it's like to "practise yoga"?


Does the "turbulence of awakening" need to be a struggle? Can't we just sit tight, with seat belts, helmets, elbow and knee pads on, and face each lesson and road bump as an opportunity to uncover the clue that will lead us to the next stage of life's journey? Can we write off the nasties in our life, and move on to life inspirations instead?


Carrying this storm cloud over my head, I popped back into the Tuesday night Yoga Sutra class. After reading verses from Patanjali's Chapter 1* (Samadhi Pada), the clouds slowly dispersed, as I found my "inner rainbow" that would turn all the current turbulent confusion into inspiring clarity. The lightness that I experienced in my drive home that night was astounding as I felt a huge burden lift from my shoulders. I was finally ready to cast aside the nasties and move past the uncertainties.


When we practise connecting our body, mind and spirit toward the quest of developing courage to let go of fear and fight adversity, we will somehow realize that we (actually) have the knowledge and power to unleash our inner warriors, and accomplish anything that our minds and hearts say we can do, without sacrificing tenderness. We have that ability to find stillness amongst the chaos, in order to live a purposeful and abundant life.
It's just that sometimes, we need a wake-up call and a push in the right direction.


Surround yourself with beacons of light and you will be illuminated.
Thank you for being my beacon.
Hari Om, Tat Sat.


*Vritti Sarupyam Itaratra (1.4) is translated to "At other times, when one is not in self-realization, the Seer appears to take on the form of the modifications of the mind field, taking on the identity of those thought patterns". 

No comments:

Post a Comment