Thursday, December 13, 2012

Not Quite a Cat(astrophic) Practice

The Cat Pose (Bidalasana), is one of my favourite warm-up asanas, as the arch-tilt action initiates movement from the core centre, and coordinates movement with breath, while gently warming up the entire spine, freeing the neck and shoulders. It is also an excellent stimulant to the abdominal organs and the spinal fluids. Practitioners with knee pain can place a blanket under their knees when doing this pose. And just like most asanas whose names take after animals, cats have had a great role to play in this asana.
My lil' stick drawings
My cats accompany me in my daily yoga practice. As creatures of habit, they take great joy in running up the stairs ahead of me, as if to race me to my mat. Being the good boys they are, they don't deface my mat by using it to sharpen their claws. They seem to know that my yoga mat is my sacred practice space (although sometimes, sharing a corner is oh-so irresistible). They don't get in the way of my practice but instead, choose to widen their eyes in horror when I fall heavily to the ground in the many failed attempts of a handstand in the middle of the room.

Each morning they would snuggle into their favourite corners, and choose to keep a watchful (sometimes even disdainful) eye on my alignment (as if to say, "Jeez, woman, you call that a backbend???").
"Oi! Hug those legs into the midline!" 
"There must be something underneath here that's making her stay balanced".
Meditation and Pranayama can be a challenge when you know someone's watching (or purring loudly in accompaniment).
Me : "Ommmm"
Ringo : "Purrrrrrrrr"
I can never be as flexible as them in any Parivrtta (revolved) pose.
"Supta Something Something?
Piece of cake".
In spite of all that, Savasana is always sweet after a great morning practice.
"Group Savasana, our fave pose"
May you find life's little highlights in your daily practice too.

OM, Peace and Purrs from me, Ringo and Toby.
xx





1 comment:

Sarclover said...

:). I have the same thing with my cats. One of them has the habit of positioning himself under my wheel pose. I had to literally take my focus off my drishti, deepen my backbend just to remove him away.

Nice blog. Can I share this on my blog?

Post a Comment