Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Inhale. Exhale. Repeat

With an exhale, came the month of May... along with sunny skies, evening thunderstorms and unpredictability on the mat.


It's been 2 weeks since I completed Module 1 of the Tripsichore-Jiva Yoga 500 Hours Teacher Training, and I'm still reeling from the beauty (and complication) of the Tripsichore Vinyasa practice.


As a 'newbie' who has never attended any of the Tripsichore workshops before, I came in 'cold', leaving behind any expectations (and judgement), and armed with only determination, an open heart, my mat and lots of towels.  


Tripsichore Yoga (pronounced "Trip-Sic-Uh-Ree" in the same sing-song tone as 'choreography') is a modern, contemplative style of Vinyasa Yoga that blends the movements of dance and theatre, with choreographed, intrinsic techniques and disciplines of yoga. The result? A beautifully fluid and artistic balance of breath, movement and asanas.
Edward Clark, founder and creator of Tripsichore Yoga led the training, together with his assistant Nikki Durrant.  Having only seen pictures of Edward on the internet, meeting him up close and personal on Day One was a rather intimidating experience.  He struck me, firstly, as an acrobatic performer as his toned and supple physique implied such.  His lean, well-defined, sinewy body and his wild shoulder-length blondish-silver hair suggested a visual oxymoron of 'modern-eccentricity'.  His accent was somewhat American, married with the vocabulary of an Englishman.  As a teacher of asana, he demonstrated more than just physically-demanding and challenging asanas, but a Teacher Training Program that was intensive and steep in the practice of mindfulness in the transition of the breath.  As a teacher of philosophy, he had a fresh, respectful yet unorthodox intake on Yogic Philosophy, which I found surprisingly insightful (especially having studied under old school Indian yoga masters where you would be struck by lightning if you were to merely giggle during a Philosophy class).


Module 1 carried on for 7 days, and with it, a practice that tested my endurance and tenacity.  It brought about the initial frustration of not being familiar with the different sequences (talk about unlearning the learned, and undoing the do!), but also a welcomed light at the end of the tunnel, when I was presented the opportunity to push new boundaries, and try new things I otherwise might never do.  
Eventually, when I started thinking of where I was "working toward" with the breath rather than just "going for the tricks", I started to embody the practice, and the initial struggle and feeling of 'woodenness' was replaced with a repertoire that was creatively fulfilling and expressive.  I started with an exhale.... and the breath simply led me to where I was heading.


The next couple of weeks will be full on practice, practice, practice, as we prepare for Module 2 which starts on 29 May.  I will probably be slowing down my entries here as I revert to good ol' pen and paper, as we're required to keep a Daily Journal as part of the training program (read : got to dust the covers of my Gita!!)


Curiosity only killed the cat, but if it gets better of you, and you'd like to sneak a peek into the monkey tricks I'll be trained in, in the Tripsichore circus this year, you can purchase a copy of the Tripsichore Yoga Uniquely Advanced Vinyasa with Edward Clark DVD available at www.pranamaya.com
Tripsichore Yoga
Uniquely Advanced Vinyasa with Edward Clark

Fun, tumbles, love and light always.
xx

2 comments:

jobites said...

Hi Angeline,

I have stumbled upon your website (which is beautiful and beautifully written by the way!) whilst researching Tripsichore yoga. I am enrolling on their forthcoming London course and would love to hear more about your experiences on the teacher training you are currently under-going them if you get the chance...!
Jo in London

@angelineliewyoga said...

Hi Jo,
Good to hear you're enrolling in the Tripsichore course (I'm not sure if you're going for the Crash Course or the teacher training?)
The Tripsichore TTC is intensive, physically and mentally challenging and demanding, it demands 110% of your commitment, focus and stamina (I kid you not!). It's probably one of the toughest TT's around today. But the practice is fun, and really.... I don't even know what the word 'tired' means anymore, coz' it doesn't exist in my vocabulary :) It's just vinyasa, from the get go, and it's vinyasa all the way.

Edward Clark is a really seasoned, experienced teacher - he's demanding but not without compassion. He pushes your right buttons, and makes you want to bring yourself to new heights in your practice.

I'm now in the midst of my Module 2 of the TTC - let's just say, I'm pretty amazed at where my practice is (slowly) getting to.

All the best!

Post a Comment