Friday, May 6, 2011

Yoga Supergran

This morning's class had the usual post-menopause group of ladies.  Most of them are in their 50's, and they flock together before class to discuss what to eat for breakfast, think of breakfast during class, and are the first to roll up their mats and head off to the  coffee shop for a bowl of steaming, hot curry laksa after class.  Don't get me wrong... I love their enthusiasm on the mat (which matches their enthusiasm for food, food and more glorious food, which Malaysia is famous for).


As I led them into Bakasana (an asana that they've attempted in previous classes), the usual moans could be heard.  "I'm too old for this.... I'll fall on my face.... I have knee pain... my wrists are too weak... can aunties do this pose?"


And since nobody reported any injuries prior to class, I pooh-pooh'd at their moans and tried to put on my sternest face, as I guided them step-by-step into Bakasana.


And what do you know?  Everyone managed to come up to Bakasana, held on for at least 3 seconds before letting go.  With a huge grin, to match their wide, happy smiles, I said, "You all had it in you. Age is just a number".


Which brings to mind an article I read sometime ago, about the Yoga Supergran in Australia.... who's just an ordinary, dedicated yoga practitioner (and not like the Yoga Masters in the likes of B.K.S Iyengar and Krishnamacharya).


Yoga instructor, Bette Calman from Williamstown, Victoria, is 85 today, but is living proof that 40 years of a dedicated yoga practice keeps the body and mind supple and nimble.  She still teaches about 11 classes a week, and has the flexibility and strength in some of the gravity defying postures, that will put many a youngster to shame.  And as the bendy granny sums it, "You're NEVER too old. The body is a remarkable instrument.  If you keep at it, you'll get there eventually".


And it's this inspiring spirit, that makes her a legend.  


Here's Bette and her infamous pink jumpsuit, demonstrating some of her favourite asanas.




Bakasana (Crow Pose)




So, can Aunties do this pose?
Heck, yeah...even Grannies can!


Happy Weekend, everyone.
  

1 comment:

Raymond said...

Nenek Boleh, Auntie mesti Boleh !

Post a Comment