Monday, March 1, 2010

108 Surya Namaskar

Yesterday was the last day of the Lunar New Year, and there was also a Full Moon.

My yoga buddy and I made a commitment to practise 108 rounds of Surya Namaskar at sunrise.  It started out slow... our hamstrings protested at each forward bend... our minds challenged our commitment.  It was an incredibly humid morning, and after the 8th round, we were sweating profusely.

Soon, without us realizing it, we were embodied in this humble yet energizing sequence.  Body, mind and breath were coordinated, each movement flowed with the breath.  As we brought our hands into Namaste, we acknowledged our hearts as the center point between heaven and earth, and as we bowed forward into Uttanasana, we rooted our hands and feet, honouring Mother Earth.

As I laid in Savasana, surrendering into the final asana for the morning, I said a silent 'thank you' for the simple morning commitment.  Walking out of the shala with the 'sun in my heart', I was eagerly looking forward to the next Moon Day. 
108 Surya Namaskar, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment