Monday, March 1, 2010

Bad Cat Day

What a disconcerting class I had this morning.

I was teaching a 90-minute vinyasa private class, when my student's neighbour's kittens came into the house (as the glass doors were open for ventilation).  Being the playful kitties they were, they started to weave in between us during Adho Mukha Svanasana, mimicking us in Bhujangasana (see pic of my student), and challenging us in a Cat Stretch.

It was cute at first, then it got downright annoying, especially when:
- one of them was mewing consistently (my student had a habit of feeding them, so this one was probably hungry)
- we couldn't shoo them out of the house and shut the glass doors (as it was humid, it would mean, we'd be cooking in our own sweat!)
- my student stroked and whispered to them during Paschimottanasana
- they got really disruptive during my demonstration of Sirsasana

I found myself getting more and more irritated by the kittens' presence, and tried to bring the class back to order; reminding myself and my practitioners to close the eyes while in Janu Sirsasana, and bring the awareness back to the breath, and the present moment (sans kittens!).

Later as I drove home, I found myself sneezing incessantly!  OMG, the kittens triggered my allergies.  Great way to start the week....not!!

As I got home, I rolled out my mat and laid down in Savasana, and meditated while lying down. I kept repeating my affirmation, "I am home...and this is where I am centered and at peace".  After a few deep breaths, I felt 'lighter', without the baggage of 'useless emotions', and ready to face the rest of Monday. 

A friend whom I shared this with told me, "Breathe. This is just one of 'those' frustrating days. But it's cool, because sometimes we all need days like these, to show us what calming means".

Sometimes, you need a wise friend to voice what you already know deep in your heart.
Om Shanti.

No comments:

Post a Comment