Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Light as a Feather

I've been practising getting up (and trying to stay up) in Pincha Mayurasana (feathered peacock pose) for the past 3 weeks now.  I'm pretty sure everyone's got their favourite asana - mine happens to be the Pincha, mainly because I love inversions but I can't seem to balance for more than 5 breaths in this asana without falling down!  The more impossibly challenging this posture is, the more intrigued I am to  'get it right'. 

All that 'hugging the forearms to the midline, internally rotating the thighs, tailbone down, shoulderblades broad'.... practising the Pincha is very tiring work indeed.  On a good day, I feel lightness and am able to get into the pose effortlessly (albeit it with the wall for moral support).  On other days, it's just downright frustrating when the arms just don't seem to be in the right alignment, or the ribs pop forward, the legs feel heavy, and the posture just doesn't feel 'rightly connected'.

Yoga teaches us about unity.  About being connected with the body, mind and breath, as we face the myriad of challenges that will occur in the uncovering of our light....a process which will take (possibly) lifetimes.  About patience, acceptance and compassion.  About embracing ourselves and reclaiming peace, strength and the power to heal and love.

And as I finish typing this last sentence, I line up my strap and block, preparing myself for another practice of Pincha Mayurasana.  Will I get it right this time?  Will I be able to balance longer in the asana? 

I don't know.  Should I have any expectations?

The late Shri Pattabhi Jois once said, "Practice. And all is coming".
Well, I've got a lifetime :)


(Image of Kathryn Budig in Pincha Mayurasana from Yoga Journal)

No comments:

Post a Comment